Monday, March 30, 2009

Open Mouth... Insert Foot


Dang, it’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything and I have something fun that needs to be addressed. Most craft beer connoisseurs have tried or are at least aware of Sierra Nevada’s Bigfoot Barleywine. This annual limited release by the west coast giant (pun intended) receives much attention by the national beer drinking community. Every year aficionados wait patiently for the release. And every year they are not disappointed. I decided this year would be the year for me to get in on the action. BEER THIS, Bigfoot!

I got luckier than I expected. Not only was my first Bigfoot ever a 2009 edition, but I also got to try the 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008! That’s right, I got to taste 11 years worth – 1998 thru 2009 (sans 2000) – of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot side by side in one sitting. In a word, amazing! I can see why this is highly anticipated. In a country such as ours where the masses love hop bombs this young Barleywine resembles an Imperial IPA. But as with any Barleywine, they only get better with time. We started with 2009 and worked our way backwards. While high in hop bitterness and flavor while fresh, the hops are the first to go. Each year proceeded to get less hoppy and more malty. The hop bitterness stuck around longer than the flavor and aroma but even that mellowed with time. The addition of time also brought out the wonderful dried fruit aroma and flavors and just a hint of toast. It was just incredible. Even now, almost two weeks later I can still taste it and it leaves me longing for more.

I found 2002-2004 to be my favorite, although I can certainly respect the hype the fresh Bigfoot demands. My advice, go out and buy the Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA and drink it fresh. Buy the Bigfoot, cellar it appropriately and enjoy 2-3 years later, you will not be disappointed. A HUGE thank you to the BJCP judge, we’ll call him “Joe Nathan”, who brought these gems to our weekly BJCP class, it was a treat indeed!

Cheers and BEER THIS!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hot damn! You lucky dog.