Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy New Year!

Okay, so this post is 43 days late. With all that's been going on, I haven't been able to keep my blog as up to date as I'd like. In my last post I explained why I'd been so absent. Despite neglecting the blog, I have not been neglecting the beer.

So what have I been up to?

In my last post of 2009, before my Houdini act, I wrote about a Beer Blogger's Brewoff in which I was participating. Since the original brewday disaster, things have been going along fairly well. On January 2nd I racked the molasses stout into secondary where it remained until the 10th at which time I bottled the beer. After two weeks I popped one open and it was as flat as the Earth before Columbus turned left to go right. I figured it was just too cool where I was storing it so I moved it upstairs in our townhouse. One week later, still flat. What to do? I moved it into one of the internal bathrooms. No, we don't have an outhouse. Internal as in one with a heat vent but no windows. I shut the door and ignored for a week. This did the trick. I popped one open last weekend with The Captain and it was nice and frothy. Tasted good too, I can't wait to try everyone elses next weekend.

Molasses Stout "breathing" on bottling day



Not long after the new year began I discovered a new beer bar. Opened in September (I think they said) in the old The Times restaurant space is a new Asian inspired restaurant called Ginger Hop. Always eager to try something new I sauntered in and sat down at the end of the bar. I think I was the only person in the place so I had to ask if they were even open. They were indeed and I was told I had just caught them between the lunch and happy hour rush. As luck would have it I arrived about the same time as happy hour. Their HH runs from 3-6 and 10-close everyday but Saturday. During happy hour, pints will set you back a mere $3 (excluding some high gravity or special release beers - even those are reduced to $5). Besides the Mich Golden Light and Sapporo, their twelve taps were all craft beer offerings (four of them from Minnesota). I inquired about the obviously absent Surly and discovered they are on a waiting list. The beers that interested me that evening were the Founders Imperial Stout and the 21st Amendment Back in Black. Being a virgin of both, I wasted no time. The BIB was a black IPA and was pretty much just as you'd expect. It was dark, like a schwarzbier but very hoppy. I like the idea, but the flavor just didn't work for me. I always say my three favorite styles are Porter, Stout and IPA but apparently I don't like them all in the same glass. The Founders Imperial Stout was very pleasing. Thick and viscous and a nice balance of sweet and roasty bitterness. We tried the smoked duck potstickers and a couple different kinds of satay and were very pleased with the food (which is also priced nicely during happy hour). The beer was great, the service friendly and the atmosphere comfortable and welcoming. Check it out if you haven't already. I know I'll be back.


Ginger Hop


As you may have read in other local beer blogger posts there was recently a meeting of the minds for local beer writers. Both hobby and professional writers met at Stub and Herbs in mid January. We put down our pens and keyboards and raised a glass with one another. There was no agenda, just a group of like-minded individuals getting together to do what they do best; examine and, most importantly, enjoy beer. A couple of shout outs: Thanks to Jon from Stub and Herbs for the apps and beer specials and to Stu from Friday Night Beer for organizing the event. I can't wait for the next one.


In attendance that evening were Front Row: Nils (Nils Pils: A Poor Man's Guide to Spendy Beer), Kat (aka Hopwhore), Kris (MSP Beer - Beer Musings from Minneapolis - St. Paul), Stu (Friday Night Beer), Micheal (A Perfect Pint), Jon (Legal Beer), Eric (Bearded Brewing). Back Row: Scott (Scott McGerick's Weblog), Mag (MSP Beer - Beer Musings from Minneapolis - St. Paul), Ryan, (MNBeer.com), Shawn (The Beer Genome Project), Eric (Lucid Brewing), Aaron (The Captain's Chair), Derek - that's me (Beer This!), El Jefe (Friend of the Bearded Brewer), Spencer (A Brewer's Journey). Not Pictured: Andrew (Hopchart.com), Doug (Author - Land of Amber Waters). I am sure I have missed someone.

Slainte

DA

2 comments:

pete said...

Great photo of the beer bloggers---what a fine-looking bunch!
Pete Hoeger, beer blogger dad

Unknown said...

Thanks Pete! We had a great time that night. Can't wait to do it again.