Friday, August 28, 2009

Tony Magee and Lagunitas

Well here it is Friday already and I am finally getting around to posting about Monday. Monday was one of those impromptu evenings that just kinda happens and turns out to be a heck of a good time. I was at home all ready to watch some lectures on DVD when I checked the dreaded Y! mail. There it was, an email from the MHbA my homebrew club. Tony Magee, founder and owner of Lagunitas Brewing Company was going to be at the Eden Prairie Old Chicago at 5pm. They will also be pouring a firkin of their Russian Imperial Stout. I live in Eden Prairie and within walking distance of Old Chicago. So, I had a decision to make; do I stay home and study and miss yet another meet and greet with someone in the beer industry or do I head over for a chance at a snapshot and some words from the wise? Sounds like a no-brainer, right? Well, beer pressure got the best of me and I headed over.

Me and Tony Magee

While ordering a glass of the Imperial Stout, Matt, a friend of mine from the BJCP class spotted me. Since I was flying solo I gladly took him up on his offer to sit with him and his wife. It sounded like they were on their last beer and would be heading home for supper, but before long Alvey from the Four Firkins arrived. Matt and Alvey are both avid bikers and ride together occasionally. Soon we were all hanging out together, drinking beer, laughing and having a great time. Matt and Courtney who were about ready to leave at 6pm ended up hanging out all night. We even got free pizza! What I thought was going to be just another mundane evening turned out to be a load of fun. Tony was a really cool guy to just be around and listen to him talk. Check out this interview I found online, this pretty much sums up his personality. Oh and the Russian Impy? Pretty fantastic. Sweet, roasty and a viscosity that resembles motor oil, just the way we like it! Cheers.

No comments: